Wednesday, October 13, 2010

For those of you who care....

I mentioned a few posts ago that I was going to be doing some cleaning.... well, I really haven't gotten around to a whole lot of the chores on that list....

I HAVE started a cleanse.  On Monday morning I drank the proverbial "death" drink.... ewwww.  It consists of 32 oz (yes, a whole quart) of warm water and 2 tsp. of sea salt.  Now before you think that it doesn't sound too bad, that small amount of salt in all that water.... let's just say as I was gulping down one cup at a time and then rinsing my mouth out with a sip of water, before I took a breath, I was trying to convince myself I was drinking canned/condensed chicken noodle soup, straight up no water.  Even that was a stretch for my imagination (and taste buds).  Once I got that down, it was within the hour that my intestines started flushing out.....yes you get the picture (don't dwell there folks).

Then I was ready to get on with the rest of the day.

I haven't gone totally off solid food yet, I have been eating one meal a day and drinking the rest.  I have been eating raw almonds (for protein and fat), and dried dates and figs (for natural sugar to keep me from crashing).  I have been drinking my famous "green smoothies".  I started drinking green smoothies over a year ago, mostly because it was an easy way to make sure that I got some veg and fruits in my day.

I make mine with 1 cup of fresh spinach leaves, about 1/4 c. of cold water (blend it in my super "Magic Bullet" blender)  when it is totally liquified I add 2 tsp. of protein powder, 1/4 cup ea. of 2 different frozen fruits (ie, strawberry/peach, blueberry/pineapple, berries/froz. banana).  Actually, I put my extremely ripe banana's in the freezer and usually add 1/2 of one to all my smoothies (great sweetener and thickener).  This in itself is a great green smoothie.  Gulp!  Gulp!

But, of course not being one to let things be just "normal" I like to add other Super Foods to my smoothie (to make it even healthier).  I add 1 tsp. Royal Jelly (hey if the queen bee eats it and she live 40x's longer than other bees it sounds profitable to me),  1 tsp. of Kelp Powder (super Green food), one tsp. of Brewer's Yeast) 1 tsp of lecithin (awesome for metabolizing fat) and one tsp. of ground flax seed (although flax oil would be just as excellent for getting some Omega-3's).  There that's it..... that's what I've been drinking for the past 3 days for breakfast and lunch.

Snacking on the almonds, dates and figs in the late afternoon when I start thinking about the chocolate granola bars or the tortilla chips and salsa in the fridge.  Muust ssstttaayyy awwwaaaaayyyyyyy!!

I feel better.  I don't have heartburn so much as I've had in the past month (not a usual occurrence, but I think that the overeating and overdrinking (COFFEE people) had gotten my tummy soooo out of balance that I wasn't feeling good most days.

So, now I'm down to ONE cup of coffee a day.... black (as usual).

Another quick way I found to get some veggies is to get V-8 juice (low sodium), some carrot juice, http://bolthouse.com/our-products/beverages/juices/carrot-juice/detailand some green juice, http://www.odwalla.com/index.jsp, then I add a few drops of this!  (2 c. of V-8 (or any veg/tomato juice), 1 c. carrot juice and 1 c. green (any brand you can find).  This is filling, and yummy.

Today, I started my day with a detox drink I saw here.  Lemon, agave nectar and fresh ginger root.  I didn't have the recipe with me so I did my own (1 lemon juiced, a good squeeze of agave nectar and about a 1" block of ginger root).  It was tart (more agave nectar tomorrow) but tasty.  Really, anything is after the salt water cleanse....

I'm feeling lighter already, maybe it's because I've been spending some "quality time" in the bathroom... and no I wasn't soaking in a bubble bath!

Anyhooo,  I thought I'd post this because I know there are a lot of other women out there who are really trying to "lighten their load", and it is especially hard to do this in the winter months (here in the states) or any time of year for that matter!!

This is my thought for the day... to keep myself aware, and accountable I've thought about taking pics of my food/drinks for each day and posting them (somewhere?  new blog, twitter, tumblr, ??)  What are your thoughts?  Is it something you would do?  Let me know....

No comments:

Post a Comment