Thursday, March 18, 2010

When things don't quite measure up

Well, as you readers know Greg's new drum kit is in the walk in closet. Which in itself is a wonderful thing because we can close doors and hardly hear him in the rest of the house. But that has definitely posed a problem with the wardrobe facilities. So after two weeks of hanging clothes in the girls closet and stacking things on our bdrm. floor we are finally getting our new armoires put up. The problem is... when we measured the wall from the corner to the window we got one measurement, thought we'd matched it up with the measurements on the armoires and then placed our order for the right ones.... BUT when Dad put together the first wardrobe last night it now covers about 1/3 of our window! So with the other one going up today we will now have a window that is only 1/3 of what it once was. It is a great south facing window and gives us lots of heat, but it isn't like we sit in the bdrm. and look out the window.

That is soooo minor, what about when your children don't measure up?!?!
I have 2 beautiful daughters, and having come from a family of 4 girls, and thought that as a mother I would enjoy the girl time, the bonding over Barbies and cooking. I thought that we would enjoy fun and games, would talk and carry on like girls do. I was wrong, my girls are strong willed, defiant, back talking, disobedient, and flat out ORNERY!!!
It's not that I don't love them, with all of my being I love them... but I'm so tired!! Who in their right mind would dream of a relationship with their children like this?
Now, I'm not the kind of mom who expects great things from her children, and pushes them into multiple things to make them better. I don't expect them to be over-achievers, just to reach realistic goals (like picking up and putting away their toys).
What is a parent to do when their children buck at every turn, when they argue about each point, when they push the limit of every request or demand?

Greg and I are reading some books about parenting strong willed children, I've found one greatly consoling thing from reading these books.... I AM NOT ALONE!
So when things don't measure up to our expectations, when the armoire is too big (or maybe the house is too small), when the husband buys more things (or eats out when the pantry is stocked), when GP doesn't eat her food (until you put a cookie or coffee in her hands) and when your children do nothing but argue with you (about every day things, things we do every day), just remember others are going through the same thing (well maybe not the wardrobe thing, that could be a personal problem).

1 comment:

  1. Only 14 more years to go and they will both be considered adults. Then your job is done. (or is it?)

    ReplyDelete