Friday, November 5, 2010

When you have a choice....

Make up a new song, or go totally, irreversibly insane!!

Okay, it was 7:00 a.m. so a little drink of somn-somn wasn't an option.... I digress!

The day started out at approximately 6:30, which for us in the Northern Hemisphere is still dark outside, very dark!!!  There was the sound of voices, rousing me up from a pretty good slumber I must say (otherwise you may just think I'm being snarky).  They were not, I repeat myself (I do that a lot since having children), NOT beautiful, melodious, make me wake up with a smile voices.  Oh, no!!  Not in the land of grumpy Frumpies!

It was Liyah, yelling at her sister to leave her alone, stop it, don't do that, be quiet, stop Lauryn!!  Yes, dear readers it was the sound of the wee one.... letting loose some fury on the sister!  Oh, I didn't stay in bed, snuggling down for another 30 minutes of rest.  Thinking that those darling daughters would somehow "work it out" and quit making that horrible noise!!  NO!  I practically jumped out of bed and sprinted down the hall (ok, ok walked quickly... as I didn't want to cause a stir if I got 2 black eyes).

In a quiet, but firm voice, I told Lauryn in no uncertain terms she was to get back in her bed, leave her sister alone and for crying out loud, DO NOT get out of bed until your clock says 7:00 or later!!!  Then I stomped calmly walked back to bed and climbed back under the warm covers!  Until 7 o'clock!!

Then I got up and jumped in the shower for a quick wake up and quiet time.... the only time I may truly have to myself all day!!  Oh, but there it is again, that wonderful, LOUD voice of the wee one!!  The one that will someday amaze people with the volume her little body can produce!  She was yelling @ Lauryn once again, don't know exactly what was going on, but found out later it had something to do with a cup of chocolate milk and who or who wasn't going to stir it (yes, folks @ our house we only sweat the BIG stuff).

So to make myself feel better, and drown out the incessant noise coming from the kitchen, through the dining room, through a closed door, through the bedroom, through another closed door and into the bathroom..... oh, yea THAT loud..... I started singing a song that we sing often in out house.

Mostly it's a song that we sing when someone has decided to have a bad day, and we want to remind them that we have the day for a purpose other than their foul mood!  It goes like this: (singing with an echo the line in ()).          

This is the day
(This is the day)
That the Lord has made
(That the Lord has made)
I will rejoice
(I will rejoice)
And be glad in it
(And be glad in it)

This is the day that the Lord has made
I will rejoice and be glad in it.

This is the day
(This is the day)
That the Lord has made!


So I sang it like that, reminding myself that this is a day, God made it and I WILL rejoice, even when the kids are cranky, the MIL is cold, the hubby is grumpy and the household is CRAZY!

Then I got to thinking.......

These are the girls
(These are the girls)
That the Lord has made
(That the Lord has made)
I will rejoice
(I will rejoice)
And be glad in them
(And be glad in them)

These are the girls that the Lord has made
I WILL rejoice and be glad in them

These are the girls
(These are the girls)
That the Lord has made!!

Sometimes I have to put extra emphasis on certain words to really convince myself, and lets just say that the volume continued to get louder as I needed to drown out the continuing yelling.  But!!  As I came out of the bedroom, all clean, dressed and awake, I felt better.  Smiling, quieter words of instruction, letting "it" run off by back like rain off a duck!  Ahhhh, yes the power of a good song!!  Even if you have to make up the words to fit your situation.

Can I get an "Amen"?!?!

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! I love your version of the song. I need to sing that sometimes. I posted just the other day about my toddler twin girls trying to wear me down .. https://www.hr.herts.ac.uk/pls/coreportal_live/cp_por_public_main_page.display_login_page

    Have started to follow you, Mich x

    ReplyDelete